Tuesday night was pancake night in the Confer house (oh yeah, this is a real thing for me), and I wanted to make it special. Not because pancakes are special, but as a kind of “see, pancake dinners can be totally grown-up and fun and GOURMET, dammit” gesture for Amos. So, the girls and I walked up to the grocery store (Hen House…how weird is that name?!) in hopes of seeing something fun to go with dinner. I saw rhubarb right smack in the front, so of course I bought a huge bunch right away. I love strawberry rhubarb pie, but I don’t love what pie does to my postpartum diet, so how amazing would it be if I could somehow make it a non-stress-inducing part of my life? Well, not to brag, but I freaking DID. Success!!!!!!
1 lb. each strawberries and rhubarb
1/3 cup each balsamic vinegar and sugar
1 tbsp ground black pepper
splash of water
- Prep the berries and rhubarb, trimming off ends and slicing.
- Combine in a bowl with the vinegar and sugar, stirring to make sure the fruit is covered.
- Cover bowl with a dishtowel and leave for at least 3 hours. This could go overnight, even.
- Transfer to a sauce pan, add just a bit of water (a couple of tablespoons, maybe) and bring to a boil.
- Drop the heat to a simmer, stirring frequently, and add the pepper.
- Cook for a while until the syrup is as thick as you’d like. I think I cooked it for about 15-20 minutes, mostly because I was making the pancakes. Just keep the heat low so the syrup won’t burn.